The Natural Sciences Laboratory is located in the Mangosuthu University of Technology and 1700 m2 in extent. Designed to link to an old existing building via a dynamic ramp system, the building comprises five full laboratories and two half laboratories accommodating 50 and 25 students respectively.
The use of intelligent building systems allows for effective passive cross-ventilation while responsive facades allow for controlled solar gain and loss, ensuring the design is low on maintenance while still flexible functionally. The planted green roof acts as a heat sink that naturally cools the building while creating an active growing garden which adds to the overall university environment.
The Natural Sciences Laboratory building captures the active, changing research functionality, making it an intuitive, responsive and flexible design.