The original building was erected in 1866 and named the Albany Hall. It consisted only of the main hall and stage together with the gabled main entrance with portico. Later, offices were built on either side of the main building to provide a T-shaped plan.
It was originally used for theatrical performances, lectures and celebrations. It was taken over by the First City Regiment as a Drill Hall and was bought by the Department of Defence in 1912. It is now known as the Drill Hall.
Over time the building had dilapidated and therefore appropriate repairs and renovations were required to improve and extend the life and legacy of the First City Drill Hall.